Charles City County, Virginia
Brought back to life by two clients with a strong vision, this restored home in Charles City County reclaims its place as a local landmark.
A New Master Plan
The new master plan called for the removal of some existing buildings and the addition of extensive gardens. The new areas include the back lawn, sunken garden, vegetable garden, orchards, vineyard, and parking court. The simple yet varied structure of paths and garden rooms is reminiscent of the historic plantation landscapes of tidewater Virginia.
An Overdue Facelift
The original 1760’s farmhouse had been added to many times (above right). Dilapidated or inappropriate additions – like the front porch shown here – were removed.
H&G’s new landscape plan was simple, in keeping with the geometry of the restored house. Fencing was added to extend the architecture of the house into the gardens.
The bedroom wing (above right), a much later addition to the house, was removed to allow views to the surrounding countryside.
With the back yard opened up, a new axis centered on the back entrance becomes the spine of the garden. Plantings around the house are kept minimal to highlight the architecture of the house. Elaborate foundation plantings of later eras aren’t in keeping with the eighteenth century house.